Grand Lodge Of Ireland
is the second oldest Grand Lodge of Freemasonry in the world. 1725 is the year celebrated in Grand Lodge anniversaries, since the first evidence for its existence comes from the Dublin Weekly Journal of June 26th 1725. This describes a meeting of the Grand Lodge of Ireland to install the new Grand Master, the 1st Earl of Rosse, on June 24th. The Grand Lodge has jurisdiction over 13 Provincial Grand Lodges covering all the Freemasons of the Island of Ireland, and another 12 provinces worldwide.
There is considerable evidence of Masonic Lodges meeting in Ireland prior to the eighteenth century. The story of the “Lady Freemason”, Elizabeth St. Leger, also dates to a time prior to the existence of the Grand Lodge.
During the eighteenth century most Lodges met at inns, taverns and coffee houses. The meetings of the Grand Lodge however, generally took place in civic and guild buildings.
In 1869 the present, purpose built headquarters of Irish Freemasonry, Freemasons’ Hall, opened, housing dramatically decorated Lodge rooms, a library, museum, offices and dining areas.